Saturday, May 19, 2012

Here We Go...

So I don't know if I will have the discipline to keep this going.  But I feel like its something I should do.  I want to show everyone that being a single mom is totally doable, and being a single mom with God's help is even easier.
When I became a single mom, I didn't want to do it and I wasn't quite sure I even could do it.  Before it even happened I was mad at God.  I had thought if this is all God can do for me, I was throwing in the towel.  Why go to church, if God was going to let my dad die of brain cancer and my mom have to battle breast cancer?  Luckily God didn't give up on me when I had decided I was giving up on Him.  Suddenly I found myself a single mom and I was still mad at Him.
It's amazing to look back at how things worked out.  I was a broken, single mom.  I don't want to take credit away from the people who were there.  My family was there when I needed them and I had some friends from work who were beyond supportive, but none of that could fix how broken I felt.
After nearly a year,I thought I should take the kids to church for Easter.  I still don't know why I made the decision.  But I can tell you why I went back the second week, they took my kids.  What better way for a frazzled mom to feel better than to sit down for an hour while her kids were being cared for by nice people.  Then through the many Sundays there and the kind people I began to know, I realized that God was asking me to let Him back in.
Going to church isn't always easy when your family isn't typical.  Sometimes I feel like I stick out sitting there without a spouse.  But here's what I finally realized, everyone else has their own set of problems.  Being a single mom, in no way, would mean that I don't belong in church.  It is only my insecurities that would ever give me that idea.
So here I am.  I want to blog about my family and how we do it.  I feel like God is leading me to reach out to other single moms.  I do not claim to have things figured out.  But I'm just hoping that I can show people that it is possible.  Maybe no one else needs to see this and this is just a reminder for myself (because I often forget).  Whatever the case, here we are and I hope it helps a little.

This picture is us on Easter this year.  That marks 3 years since that day back in 2009 when we went to church just for Easter (and now we can't stop.)

4 comments:

  1. Nikki, you are amazing! I didn't know that you were a single mom! You are so inspirational to me, and I can see that you adore you kids very much! Keep inspiring others. God will use you in whatever way he has planned for you as long as you are open to it. I love that you decided to let God back in to your life. I can see he is doing wonderful things for you! Take care, Tina

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is awesome!! I'm so proud of you!! You are amazing. Don't ever let anyone tell you otherwise!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are awesome and your kids are amazing! This blog will be a great thing for you! I started one four years ago when we started Zoe's adoption and have kept it going ever since!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so proud of you. Love you...GG

    ReplyDelete